Cleanings and Exams
The dental cleanings you receive from our office differ from your at-home routine of flossing and brushing. During your cleaning, you will receive:
Plaque removal to prevent periodontal disease and inflammation of the gums
Calculus or tartar (formed from plaque) removal to prevent gingivitis
Teeth polishing to remove excess plaque and stains
It is important to have your teeth cleaned regularly. Only a professional dental team using specialized instruments and ultrasonic tools can effectively remove plaque and calculus.
Dental exams are performed in conjunction with your regularly scheduled appointments. All regular check-ups will include:
- Examination of diagnostic X-rays (radiographs): We will examine your dental X-rays to determine the positions of your teeth and roots, and to help us detect possible decay, bone loss, cysts, or tumors.
- Gum disease evaluation: By searching the bone and gums around your teeth, we will determine if there are any signs of periodontal (gum) disease.
- Oral cancer screening: During your exam, we will also look closely at the neck, face, tongue, lips, tissues, throat, and gums for signs of oral cancer.
- Tooth decay examination: Part of your exam will involve thoroughly investigating the surfaces of all your teeth with specialized instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: We will examine your current crowns, fillings, bridges, etc., to determine if they are still in good shape.
Schedule a dental appointment with Smiles by Bigelow soon to receive a thorough exam and maintain your dental health!